Thursday 27 September 2012

Sarkhej Roza

Sarkhej owes its fame to the celebrated Saint Shaikh Ahmed Khattu better known as Ganjbaksh. After journeying extensively Saint came to Gujrat in 1398 A.D. and settled at Sarkhej. He was one of the four Ahmeds who laid the foundation of Ahmedabad city in 1411 A.D. Sultan Ahmed Shah(1411-1442 A.D.) was devoted to him. The Saint died in 1446 A.D. Sultan Muhammad Shah (1443-1451 A.D.) began to erect a splendid tomb and mosque to his memory which was completed by his son and successor Sultan Qutubuddin Ahmed Shah II.
                                                         Well this is all about the history that I could gather now something about my first hand experience. On the road itself, I noticed Gujrat Tourisism’s board…amongst all the places I’ve been to, in the Muslim pockets of Ahmedabad, this was the only place where I noticed this board. That automatically makes this place special. I entered through the main arched gate…found a big clock right in front silently ticking along time. Then there was this shoe rack big empty rows where we kept our shoes and entered through the grill gate. On the left, there was a row of pillared structures which was beautiful though we did not enter. In the middle there was this vast expanse where a huge structure held high its crown, beautifully calming ambience. But we chose to go towards right where laid the tomb of Ganjbaksh.           

             A massive structure, the speciality of this place is its, JHAROKHAS…..yeh kisi sanche mein dhel kar nahin bana….its all painstakinglhy carved out of stones….hats off to the craftsmen.Its grand structure, light and shade effect through the jharokhas was absolutely dramatic. The doors were beautiful. Now comes the room where the tomb was well women are not allowed to enter that specific room, so while my husband and son entered with their head covered, I waited outside.
                                                        After praying, we decided to walk along, so we noticed huge pillars, hundreds of them all lined up as if guarding something. I can’t tell you how different the experience was for me.
It was a very calming and balming moment for us. I had a great time there…and I was so impressed by this, that I am promoting it…anybody if you happen to be in Ahmedabad then please make sure to visit “Sarkej Roza”.

No comments:

Post a Comment